Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Eagle and the Hare

Once there was this beautiful eagle. It used to soar high up in the skies, free and majestic. One day it started circling around a clearing and flew lower and lower. A hare was in the clearing - totally absorbed in munching and oblivious to the descending eagle. The eagle swooped down suddenly and pounced near the hare. The hare stood on its hind legs stock still and petrified. The eagle leaned in close to the hare.... and went "hahaha! You thought I was going to eat you! " and it guffawed in the hare's face! The hare trembled and nodded. The eagle shrugged and said"well, I'm not. I'm a vegetarian see- I swooped down here to eat these tasty mushrooms!" pointing at the brown fungus blooming in the clearing. 

The hare felt weak with relief and started breathing again. He watched while the eagle munched on the mushrooms and then said- if you like mushrooms you should follow me! And he bounded away - bounce bounce bounce- the eagle tottered behind him/ clumsy on the ground unlike in the air. 
They went behind this great oak tree and saw a wide glittering array of mushrooms! They enjoyed their mushroom party side by side. 

As they ate they talked. "how come you are vegetarian?" asked the hare. "Not that I'm complaining of course!"

"oh that. Ya my parents were most surprised. They kept asking me to try meat but every time I tried it my tummy would wibble and wobble uncontrollably! Like I was perpetually being tickled. It got too tiring after a while. When I stuck to vegetables my tummy was ok. So...there you have it! " 

And the eagle and hate stayed great friends - seeking out mushrooms together whenever they could! . 

No comments:

Post a Comment